Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Can you imagine?



Since becoming a seminary teacher, my scriptures have become as important for me to tote around as my wallet, cell phone,  or keys.   I take them everywhere.  I never know when I might have a few minutes to sit and read them.  I have one of those "pocket-sized" copies of the Book of Mormon in my purse, too.  Just in case.   I know.  One of my daughters calls me a "scripture geek".   It is what it is.  I find it fascinating how one can discover something NEW every time they read them.  Fascinating!

Reading them brings me peace.  I've come to understand who God is and how much He loves us.  The scriptures contain his commandments, his laws, and testimonies of those who know Him.

Have you ever wondered what your life would be like without scriptures? 



I found it interesting in the Book of Mormon to learn of some of the Lord's covenant people who were without scriptures/records.  We find in the Book of Omni, that Mosiah, a descendant of Lehi, discovered a large group of people in Zarahemla whose ancestors also left Jerusalem centuries before, as Lehi did.  The difference between Lehi's group, and these people of Zarahemla (a.k.a., the Mulekites) is that Lehi's group had a record of their people (the Jews), and the others didn't.  When Mosiah and the Nephites met the Mulekites, they realized that "their language had become corrupted; and they had brought no records with them; and they denied the being of their Creator; and Mosiah, nor the people of Mosiah, could understand them." (Omni 1:17)  The Mulekites' language had degenerated, they lost their culture, their doctrine, and they didn't know God.  All this was due to the fact that they had taken no scriptural record with them when they left Jerusalem. 

King Benjamin, Mosiah's son, taught, "...Were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God." (Mosiah 1:3)   The mysteries of God are truths learned only by faith and revelation; FAITH in God, and REVELATION from God.

A life without knowing God?   I can't imagine....................

No comments:

Post a Comment