Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting Revvvvvvvvved up for General Conference!



When I was little, my father would pick me up out of bed, blankets and all, plop me on the couch, and turn on the t.v. at 6:00 a.m. on the Sunday of General Conference.   I grew up in Hawaii (Pacific Standard Time - 4 hours behind Utah) and there wasn't a way to record the sessions back then.  Darn.  I didn't see the point of me having to lie there on the couch on those mornings. General Conference just couldn't keep my attention longer than 15 seconds at a time.  The speakers all seemed the same.  All wearing suits and ties, elderly, and I remember them speaking VERY SLOWLY.   
At the time, I didn't appreciate my dad and what he was doing.   Well, my dad turned out to be my hero and example. I have tremendous gratitude for his stalwart testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He taught me what I SHOULD be doing out of obedience even if it was hard for me.   The understanding and wisdom came later, as well as the testimony.   Today, I have come to crave General Conference.  I listen to every speaker and it's somewhat depressing at the end of the weekend to think I have to wait another 6 months before I can get my "spiritual bucket" filled again. 



As I spoke to my seminary class this morning about preparation for General Conference, I could tell that there were some who already had the excitement and positive anticipation for it.  I hoped to make it clear to them how important it was to me.  If they ever seek to know why I feel the way I do, then perhaps they will attempt to know for themselves through prayer.  
I asked each of them to sign up to report back to the class on 2 speakers over the whole conference.  Monday's lesson will be comprised of thoughts, impressions, information, and inspirational messages from them.  I appreciate the ability we have to access the talks online through http://www.lds.org/.   I shared that with the class so they could refer to this website if they wanted to review any of the talks.   I, of course, will watch ALL of the sessions (except the Priesthood session), and try to tie some messages together to share my testimony with them on Monday.    I'm looking forward to an amazing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment