Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"The Good News"




Life's not fair.

Things don't always work out the way we want them to.  Just when we think we're getting ahead, something makes us fall behind. Sometimes our weaknesses get the better of us, pull us down and discourage us. Growing up in the Church, I was taught that through the Atonement of Christ,  I can be forgiven of my sins if I sincerely repent of them. The Atonement can cover my sins.  Later I grew to understand that the Atonement also covers my stresses and troubles which were not brought on by myself.  Through Christ, my pains can be healed.  Heartache, sorrows, worries, sickness, my inadequacies, weaknesses that I can't help, or in other words, my infirmities.

in·fir·mi·ty (n. pl. in·fir·mi·ties)
1. A bodily ailment or weakness, especially one brought on by old age.
2. Frailty; feebleness.
3. A condition or disease producing weakness.
4. A failing or defect in a person's character.

This is the gospel! (Gospel means GOOD NEWS!)

Because of my understanding of the Atonement of Christ, I feel an overwhelming amount of gratitude and love for Him.  This is why we need Him.  We're not alone. Through our covenants and our undivided devotion to Him, we are "yoked" to Him, and he provides the added strength we need to "endure to the end".  He will make up the difference for what we are lacking. We must come to Him seeking his healing power through our faith in Him. Knowing this makes us want to live better, work harder, and appreciate Him more.



In Alma 6-7, Alma travels to the valley of Gideon. He is going from city to city in the land of Zarahemla, teaching the "GOOD NEWS" by the Spirit. He is "cleansing" each city as he establishes the Church, ordains priesthood holders, and teaches them about Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism in his name, to remember him and to keep his commandments.  Alma tells the people of Gideon that there is one thing he wants to share with them which is of MORE IMPORTANCE THAN ANYTHING; "...the Redeemer liveth and cometh among his people."  Alma then teaches them about the Atonement and how the Savior will take upon him THEIR infirmities.   By entering into baptism, they become "his people".

Knowing this, changes them from the inside out.

“The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.” (President Ezra Taft Benson, Oct. 1985)


Life is fair. Our Savior makes it more than fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment